[kwlug-disc] mythtv hardware

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:10:35 EST 2011

There are a lot of options out there...

If you want to use a remote control, then you'll need an iR receiver & a
remote, along with a lirc.
If you need to control a cable or satellite set top box, then you'll need an
iR transmitter.

Here are a few sites I used when I was first figuring out my setup:

http://www.usbuirt.com/   (iR Receiver and single transmitter)
http://www.commandir.com/   (iR receiver and multi-transmitter, up to 16
channels)

http://www.hauppauge.com/   (Sells capture cards, but you'll have to ensure
you buy the right one!)
What is your source?  (Analog cable, Digital Cable, Satellite (Free to air,
or Bell/Shaw?), Terrestrial broadcasts (digital or analog?)
Are you interested in capturing high-def?

How much space do you have on your box?  On average, it's 1Gb per hour for
normal standard definition programming.