[kwlug-disc] Kiosk slideshow/screensaver software

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 28 12:14:23 EST 2011

I want to set up a kiosk. In my ideal world, it would run as a
screensaver on a desktop. The source would be video (or screencasts,
or maybe really dynamic OpenOffice Impress presentations). When
somebody moves the mouse then the screensaver would stop.

Is there an xscreensaver (or other screensaver) module that will just
play videos from a source (as opposed to distorting the output in some
way)? I could use VLC but then I don't know how to interrupt and
resume videos when people use the mouse.

The video content will largely consist of screencasts (no voice) with text
overlaid on top. What program should I use to generate these?

The idea is to have a teaser/demo of the Ubuntu machines we sell. The
intent is similar to http://screencasts.ubuntu.com but with no voice.
(Frankly I am surprised that nothing good exists already. If you have
a source for such videos then I would be interested in it.)

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org