[kwlug-disc] [OT] Diagnosing voip and Tomato

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 09:03:44 EST 2011

The only time I find a small degradation is when I am on the phone with my dad,
doing desktop sharing while someone else is watching a movie and other people
are doing the normal you tube and browsing. (At my home there are always several
devices accessing the Internet).

Just regular browsing and YouTube do not give me any noticeable degradation.
E.g. I regularly have conference calls from home where I VPN to the office, and
remote to my office computer (RDP), with no noticeable degradation in the call.

Movies seem to be the main offenders (1.5 GB/hour)

I don't mind that small degradation at home talking to my dad while someone
watches a movie, I thing I would if it was a business call.
Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx