[kwlug-disc] July Meeting Date

unsolicited at swiz.ca unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Feb 15 11:21:09 EST 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 05:12:45 -0500, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca>
wrote:
> Here we go again.
>
> July's meeting falls on July 4. The algorithm says that it should stay
> on July 4 unless July 4 is somehow a statutory holiday in Canada.
>
> Do we want to rebel against our algorithmic masters by moving the
> meeting to the 11th?

July 1st is 'weird' in that it's always taken on the day it falls. If it's
a Wed., that's what's taken. Most other holidays seem flexible to be taken
at various times, be it Friday or Monday.

Having said that, I do believe the stat. holiday floats if July 1st lands
on a weekend. At which point we're back to most places take it one day or
the other, but many others take it Friday if it falls on the Saturday, and
Monday if it falls on the Sunday.

In this year's case, July 1 is a Friday, so the day taken will be Friday,
and we're all good for a kwlug meeting on the Monday, July 4, 2011.

IMO.