[kwlug-disc] voip questions

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 09:58:49 EST 2011

>From doing a little research, it seems that using Asterisk in a VM is fine.
Just stick with ATA's like the Linksys SPA1001 (
http://www.voipvoip.com/linksys-spa-1001/) for your analog phones.  You can,
with a bit of wiring, hook this up to all the analog phones in your house,
but it may not have the power required to power more than 2 phones per
line.  When I was in North Bay, I could run a phone-line powered phone and a
cordless without issue, on a Linksys ATA (supplied by ViaNet), so we'll give
it a shot.

If you go with IP phones, then check out: http://www.voipsupply.com for some
phones, but they have lots of other hardware as well.

I think my next step will be to get Asterisk running on a small VM, get a
phone line from voip.ms and softphone and start doing some testing.  After
that, settle on an ATA and see how well that works.  If all goes well, I'll
scale it up to the whole house and drop Bell, possibly adding an IP phone or
two in as well.

Anyone know if there is a pre-built Asterisk VM for VirtualBox?

Also, a Canadian website, or a local K/W place where I can shop for IP
phones?