[kwlug-disc] dslreports link - vaxination petition (Was: Re: UBB comes to Teksavvy)

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 14:19:19 EST 2011

I don't know about you Bob, but I haven't got a letter from them yet
stating that they're not going to do the UBB stuff in March.

My wife, son and I signed up for Teksavvy about six months ago and
have been pretty happy with the 200GB plan. We're paying approx
$52/month for the plan. Based on our usage we'd probably pay between
$15 - $30 extra a month. Here's the breakdown of what we pay:

$31.95 Teksavvy 200GB plan
$9.99 Dry loop fee
$4.00 Static I.P. (I run a small server)
Subtotal: $45.94 + taxes =  $51.92

Most of the traffic is me. We actually generate a fair amount of
upload traffic. I've been creating and uploading videos, contributing
content to a couple of projects, and running a low-graphic game server
that generates about 5GB/month upload.

We haven't really downloaded much torrent content other than through
Miro. We're probably great candidates for IPTV. We've had Rogers for
the longest time for cable TV, but my wife doesn't really watch a lot
of TV, but has recently got hooked on Rogers preview of TLN (The Latin
Network) - 1 channel. With UBB this would be a lot less of an option.
I'm not a big TV watcher either, preferring to rent a Blueray or DVD,
but I do like to watch the occasional Hak5 of Category5 episode.

In the past 6 months we've been under the cap (25GB) about 1/2 the
time. I think if the cap was 60 we'd probably be okay with it. We were
with Rogers before they dropped the 60GB cap they had to 25GB (then
tried to backdate the overage charges before the cap notification).

For the moment we're just watching our habits and seeing what happens
with Teksavvy before we leap to another service.