[kwlug-disc] Reading the eyesurf website ... (was ... something else)

unsolicited at swiz.ca unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 2 23:16:35 EST 2011

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 22:43:44 -0500, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Rashkae <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>> On 11-02-02 08:50 PM, unsolicited at swiz.ca wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't help but think ... Canada (apparently) survived the recession,
>>> or
>>> so the pundits appear to be trumpeting, due to better banking
regulation
>>> and oversight. Whatever's overseeing the CRTC, which is overseeing
Bell
>>> et
>>> al ... well, it doesn't intuitively seem to be working.
>>>

>> Strictly speaking as a Devil's advocate, in the long term, there might
be
>> some good to come of these shenanigans.  For as long as Bell and and
the
>> Cable encomburents(sp) were providing cheap, unlimited internet, the
free
>> market was destroying any attempt at creating alternate infrastructure.
>
> I can't really argue with you too much there. One upside to this
business
> is
> that I've found alternative ISPs that are completely Bell-free (apart
from
> the,
> *yawn*, last mile copper)! I may switch even if the CRTC's decision gets
> overturned!

Your post finally made me go over to the eyesurf web site,
http://www.eyesurf.net/index.html, and have a look.

Any eyesurf users, or coming converts, do please keep the list apprised of
your impressions.

Am I reading the limited information present on their site correctly:

As far as the home user is concerned, their phone service, which is not
VoIP, appears to the consumer just like Bell - plug in your regular phone,
get on with your day. And at $5/month, makes Unlimitel unnecessary, from a
cost savings vis a vis Bell landline perspective.

Looking at the terms and conditions, there's no restriction on having your
own e-mail server, but you may not run a list.

No mention of dry loop fees. Huh?