[kwlug-disc] UBB Discussion, look at Cogeco

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Feb 1 11:34:26 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 11:08 -0500, Kyle Spaans wrote:

> Also, just browse to Bell's DSL prices and features:
> http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.Bell-Internet-Performance/DSLTIPONNewMassNCOPF10.details#tabCont1-tabs
> It should clearly show 25GB cap, and $5 for 40GB of "insurance". I can't
> find how much they are charging for every GB over the limit though.

My 7+ yr old Bell DSL account has a "Total usage allowance" of
60GB/month with $1.50/GB overage up to a limit of $30/month.  At least
it does today.  We'll see how long that lasts.

I find it perverse that after seven years of an unfettered 60GB limit
for standard accounts that Bell/CRTC/?  feels the need to reduce the
limit to 25GB.  If anything, the government should mandate increasing
limits as time goes on - add 5GB/month/year.  Require the coddled
socialized communication industry in this country to move forward.
Either that or scrap the CRTC and allow real free-market competition.
Even better would be to get an American telco to launch an unfair trade
practice claim against the existence of the CRTC under NAFTA.  Think of
the tax savings...

You wants to build a mesh network on the west side of Kitchener?