[kwlug-disc] CACert.org trust it or don't? And why doesn't Ubuntu?

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at happydeys.ca
Mon Dec 19 23:16:54 EST 2011

On 11-12-19 03:30 AM, Colin K wrote:
> I'm terribly curious as to what people think about CACert.org...
[edited]
>   Seems like a pretty good idea building a CA based on a web of trust basis.

To get enough points to sign a cert, at least a couple of folks
personally meet you, and they have a stake in the accuracy of the claims
you've made when you joined the cacert community. Plus, policy and
governance is quite transparent. It's a system much less likely to be
gamed than $500 and a phone call. Finally, as you've noted, it an
approach that often can fit with folks without the ability to justify
that $500 outlay.