[kwlug-disc] Anyone using Acanac cable internet in K-W - your experience?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Aug 24 06:22:00 EDT 2011

Acanac doesn't have it ... yet.

Their web page says: "*Up-to 1 Static - VPN Based"
(http://acanac.com/cable.html)

Their forum has a thread: "Good News. The CRTC is requiring the cable
carriers to"
(https://community.acanac.com/acanac/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=19131)
<<<<<
Post subject: Good News. The CRTC is requiring the cable carriers to

The CRTC is requiring the cable carriers to provide static IP
addresses. CISC has been tasked with proposing a solution within 120 days.

So mid-September before more news.

There are a few threads on their forums about static cable ip's, none
of it revealing anything useful.

Personally, I don't expect to see it any time soon. Proposal, process,
cableco foot dragging, more processes and hearings ...

Apparently cable assigned DHCP addresses don't change too often -
don't know if it's too often for you in the mean time.

For me, with dynamic dns, I don't expect it would affect me.

Nobody knows what "*Up-to 1 Static - VPN Based"  means / how it works.
Yes, OpenVPN and/or ssh, and there are tutorials about making that
connection, but there's no information as to what happens / how it
works / mechanics, after the connection has been made. e.g. Presumably
the same ip is shared by multiple clients on the vpn server, so how
traffic knows to go to you, specifically, is not explained.