[kwlug-disc] Anyone using Acanac cable internet in K-W - your experience?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Aug 24 01:51:05 EDT 2011

Kiwi Ssennyonjo wrote, On 08/23/2011 8:17 PM:
> I am using Acanac
>
> Installation was a breeze.
> Very happy with the delivered service.
>
> Their customer service; on the other had os horrible.
> With that said they are growing.

Thanks.

Are you in Kitchener, or Waterloo?

> FYI distributel owns acanac.

Apparently not true, at least as of last week. Acanac partners with
Distributel in various ways, including using the Distributel backbone
in many cases. And apparently Distributel has recently made a direct
investment in Acanac, but Distributel does not completely own Acanac,
at least according to their forums as of last week. I have no specific
knowledge, however, just a lot of reading in the forums. I'll gladly
bow to any corrections.

Apparently 3web is somehow involved in the backbone as well. As I
understand it, the 3 of them, at least, have teamed up (on the cable
front, at least), to provide a cable alternate backbone to Roger's,
Cogeco, et al - allowing each of them to sell to anyone in a partner
territory, using any partner's network. Thus Acanac can sell to anyone
on the Distributel network, and the reverse. (If Acanac actually owns
any backbone itself. Of which I'm not sure.) I also understand there
are cases where Acanac uses the Roger's network - merely acting as a
3rd party wholesaler in that case. I believe Acanac intends to further
build out their network, particularly in these Roger's cases, but that
is an impression not a documented fact I've directly seen. Definitely
they are looking and interested in expanding, but making sure that any
such effort is going to be economically feasible. My guess is that any
such expansion will be a joint Distributel / Acanac effort, going
forward, not a sole Acanac effort.

All I can say is - good luck to them all, I wish them all the success
in the world.