[kwlug-disc] System Testing LiveCD, cpu-z equivalents, etc.?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 5 14:17:59 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 10:51:46AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> What's out there for doing system testing / exercising, etc.?
>
> I can run memtest86+, but I'm not sure that it's accurate in terms of
> detecting correct memory speeds for the latest and greatest hardware,
> let alone the other areas of hardware it doesn't cover.

For system speccing I set up a debian-live distro that uses lshw,
which is good for identifying the components in a PC. Our version is
running off a PXE boot, but it probably is not hard to generate an
actual Live CD.

For memory testing Memtest usually seems "good enough". Sometimes
older versions of Memtest work better than newer ones.

We still have no reliable FLOSSy way to test hard drives, or to run
stress tests on CPUs. There are some tools out there (the
smartmontools for hard drives, and some Live CD for stress tests) but
we have not deployed them yet.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org