[kwlug-disc] Kitchener-Waterloo Debates and C-32 - Braid defends C-32 and digital locks

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 10:35:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can do this next week. If he is re-elected, would he still be on the
> committees for digital-copyright bills? If not, I'll make sure to poke
> the winner frequently about copyright.

  There is nothing to suggest he will be on the committee.  That is a
decision made within the caucus.  As you saw with C-32, some of the
people were placed there by the party who didn't have a particular
interest.   When I summarised my feelings on the members, I didn't
even bother saying anything about many of the people who sat there for
the Conservatives. http://creform.ca/5319

> I think this has been asked and answered before, but is it a useful
> strategy if I point at Charlie Angus as a candidate who gets it
> (mostly) right in terms of digital copyright? Or should I just talk
> without mentioning other MPs/parties?

  Mentioning Charlie Angus gets Conservatives all up in a froth about
the private copying regime.   I'm not convinced all Conservative MPs
were even aware that C-32 specifically propped up and expanded this
regime, and that their claims since Sheila Copps created the regime in
1997 of to wanting to abolish it looked silly in the context of C-32.

  All they know is that Charlie Angus tabled a private members bill to
get this policy actively discussed.  It's a regime falling apart that
should either be repaired or replaced.

  I suspect it is best to not mention names, just specific policies
you agree or disagree with.

Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
http://creform.ca/petition/ict/

 manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
 portable media player from my cold dead hands!"