[kwlug-disc] KWLUG site security (was: Firesheep: Open WiFi cookie stealing for the masses ...)

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Oct 28 20:41:07 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:01:43AM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > This still requires a server that you fully administer.
>
> On the topic of easy VPN software, some folks might want to give
> sshuttle a try.  Haven't tried it yet myself, but the concept
> looks great.
>
>        http://github.com/apenwarr/sshuttle

Now that I have tried it ...

Simply brilliant ...

It works as advertized: all traffic is encrypted and tunneled through a
server
you have access to via ssh.

You only need root on your client (say laptop).

Do a --help to show all the options.

Use -v to make it less verbose after it works.

This solves it for the Linux laptop side ...

On Android, there is the ASE (Android Scripting Environment) which includes
Python, but there is no root unless you "root" the device.

The author used to live in Waterloo by the way. I ran into him once at an
event
at the Accelerator Centre.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin