[kwlug-disc] screen is keen

Daniel Allen dada.da at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 22:30:13 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> What about screens 10 to 15 (yes, I am the same guy who had 200+ Fire
> Fox tabs open)?
>
> The solution is obscure but functional:
>
> Ctrl-A then ' (single quote) then the screen number followed by Enter.

Also: you can name your sessions with ctrl-A shift-A.
Then, Ctrl-A " (double-quote) gives you a list, which you can navigate with
j (down) and k (up) or possibly with arrow keys (seems to work on some
terminals).

AND (which I just discovered this afternoon) you can go to the
first-matching session name with ctrl-A 'name
(where name is the entire screen name, or just a unique portion).

Finally, you can also have xterm display the screen title in the tab-bar,
with nothing more than a line in your .screenrc (while the below is a bash
prompt howto, it seems to work for tcsh also):
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/x395.html

Screen is definitely keen.
-D