[kwlug-disc] KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux User Group new content notification: 2010-10-11 03:07

webhost at kwlug.org webhost at kwlug.org
Mon Oct 11 03:07:46 EDT 2010

Greetings mail-forum-merge,

Recent content - 1 new post

1. Configuring Mandriva 2010.1 Spring Free
Published Blog entry by Raul Suarez
[ http://kwlug.org/node/777 ]

On my previous Mandriva review [1] I had concluded that Mandriva wasn't
for me, but someone at KW LUG convinced me to give it a chance. I
started reviewing Mandriva 2010.1 Spring and had exactly the same
complaints as my review of the 2010 version so I decided that, instead
of a negative review I would write a positive "How to" configure the
Free version.
Disclaimers:

I still think that a lot of names are wrong and misleading, but I
realized I can learn what they mean. Besides it seems to be a
translation from other languages into English which would explain the
language issues.
I also still think that the initial look is ugly, but I accept that it
is a subjective opinion and can be changed.
Finally I still think that the whole distribution is unpolished compared
to other distributions but If this is your first and only distribution
you may not notice.

Note:
People have pointed out that some of the steps bellow will be
unnecessary if you instead buy the Power pack which includes, non-free
components. By buying it you will also support Mandriva in particular
and Linux in general.
For the full review go to my previous review.
With that out of my chest Here we go.
The installer DVD is pretty straight forward. Just ignore the confusing
parts and accept the defaults. Ensure you have enough time to be around
the computer (about 1 hour) as the installation happens in two stages.
Answer the first set of questions carefully because the installer does
not show a screen for you to confirm them. The package installation will
take about 1/2 hour. You can use that time to read the release notes.
That is a welcome feature and a good use of the time.
At the end of the package installation answer the second set of
questions.
Confirm your settings and change them according to your needs. For
example, I configured the network to have static IP and start when the
computer starts. I also set the resolution of my screen instead of using
the "automatic" as it chooses the highest resolution available for my
card.
If you have a network connection ready, update the packages when asked.
At the end of the update you may get a message indicating that you
should restart your computer. Just ignore the message for now. When you
continue, the installer will restart the computer on its own.
Here comes the configuration:
Restoring the KDE4 look and feel:
Right click on the desktop and select “Desktop activity Settings”
Click on the “Activity” tab.
On “Type” select “Desktop”
Click “OK”
Right click on the desktop and select “Add Widgets”
Find the “Folder view” widget and drag it to the desktop
Position it wherever you want.
You can now configure it to show any folder you desire.
Mounting other internal partitions:
By default Dolphin does not let mounting other Linux partitions when
clicking on them. To be able to do it, you will need to change the
security policy by executing the following command:
polkit-auth --user  --grant org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount.fixed
--constraint
replacing  with your user ID.
Allowing command line escalation of authority "sudo"
In Mandriva you can switch user to root but by default you cannot "sudo"
as root. So when you are doing administrator level tasks in the command
line, you either execute the following command to gain root access.
(ensure you exit the root session at the end of the administrative
tasks)
su -
Alternatively you grant your self "sudo" access to execute specific
commands with higher rights. I prefer this way as it prevents me from
forgetting that I am working as root and doing something I shouldn't.
Edit the sudoers file to add you to the wheel group
su -
visudo
Uncomment the following line by removing the “#” character
#%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL
Exit the editor by typing “:wq!”
Click on "Configure your computer" and enter the root password.
On the left menu select "System";
Under "Administration tools" select "Manage users on system;
Click on your name and select "Edit" from the tool bar;
Click on the "Groups" tab;
Check the "wheel" group
OK or close all the windows.
Enable non-free repositories
If you want to use non-free components (Drivers, codecs, etc) you need
to enable the non-free repository
Options | Media Manager
Check "Mirror list Non-free" and "Mirror list Non-free Updates"
Installing non GUI software
The software manager defaults to showing only packages with a graphical
interface. If you don't want to be scratching your head when you don't
find a package, change the default:
On the top left dropdown list that says "Packages with GUI", select:
"All"
To install non-free codecs (mpeg, DVD, wmv, etc)
Main Menu | Applications | Install & Remove software
Ensure you follow the steps to show all software in the previous section
Search for "gstreamer"
Select the "gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly" package. (Note that the name has
nothing to do with the quality of the codecs, just that the packager
thinks that proprietary software and patents are ugly)
When asked to insert the "medium named Main Media" just insert the
installation DVD and press OK.
Install Flash
The flash-plugin must be downloaded directly from the Flash web site:
Open Konqueror and go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
Select "Linux" as the operating system and click "Continue"
Select the ".rpm" version, and click on the "Agree and install" button
Download, click and follow instructions
Conclusion
I think this is my last dabble with Mandriva for a while, but I hope
these tips may help other people.

[1] http://kwlug.org/node/760

--
This is an automatic e-mail from KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux
User Group.