[kwlug-disc] Yesterday in C-32 news

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Nov 4 17:43:03 EDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 05:34:32PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> >Secondly, pirating is a huge problem -- you know people who download
> >TV and movies and music and so do I and so does everybody else on this
> >list.
>
> You don't actually know that, and you know better than to make such
> blanket statements.

I used to be a big bittorrent user for TV and movies.  If I'm the only
guy in KWLUG who did this, even that means that a pretty substantial
subset of KWLUG knows someone who could be called a pirate, including
you. :-)

Jumping to the conclusion that pirates are causing this legislation
is a bit of a leap, but I don't think it's a leap to say that there's
a pretty high percentage of normal Canadians who could be called
pirates by Big Media.  I'm surprised how common it is among non-techies
even.

Whether pirating itself is wrong, though, is another matter.

- Chris