[kwlug-disc] Yesterday in C-32 news

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 4 16:31:05 EDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 11:26:41AM -0400, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> It's worth noting again that as I understand it, downloading music in
> Canada is perfectly legit as long as you do it for your self.  Uploading
> is a no-no, but downloading is fine.
>
> Thank our hidden media tax for that.

Our hidden media tax only applies if you burn the music to media. It
does not apply when you put that music on your iPod or on your
computer. Charlie Angus wants to extend the levy to these devices
(which kind of does not make sense since these are devices that can
store thousands of songs, be erased and used again) but that does not
exist right now.

In addition, the media levy gets us compared to countries from Algeria
to Venezuela.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org