[kwlug-disc] [OT] QOS router

Jeff Welling jeff.w.bulk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:24:19 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-31, at 12:57 PM, unsolicited wrote:

>> On 2010-10-20, at 8:07 PM, "Insurance Squared Inc." <gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
>>> Can anyone give me some guidance on a QOS engine?  I've got a
>>> Dlink QOS router with the QOS running so that my voip calls take
>>> preference.  But it doesn't work worth a darn.  Anyone doing any
>>> uploads/downloads makes my calls choppy.  I think even my kids
>>> playing on XBOX live make it choppy.
>>> I've got traffic shaping, dynamic fragmentation, qos engine, and
>>> automatic classification all enabled in the router.  Seems like
>>> the router should take it from there?  I can do manual settings
>>> if needed, but not sure I should have to.
>
> I thought QoS had to be specifically turned on at each net card too.

I don't believe this to be accurate.  I've been dabbling in traffic control for a couple of years now, and I've never read so much as a single document outlining that QoS has to be turned on per interface/network card.
Incase I'm wrong; can you cite a reference?
It could be that you do have to enable it per interface for dlink routers that support QoS, I've never used one.
Tomato, or in lieu of that, Debian all the way :)