[kwlug-disc] The least hassle upgrade in years ...

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Mon May 17 13:14:53 EDT 2010

On 17/05/2010 1:06 PM, Lori Paniak wrote:
> What kind of hardware was that Adam?  I had similar troubles with a Acer
> Revo and a fresh Mythbuntu install.

Creative X-Fi (Fatal1ty gaming edition or something like that).  I'm not
sure if the exact model, as it was given to me by a friend.

> Why does alsa insist on muting channels by default?  It gives a lot of
> people the impression that they don't have sound when in fact they do.
> alsamixer should not be part of the install process.

Good question.  I had the same sort of problem when I tried to set up
audio over HDMI on my XBMC box.  It took quite a bit of fooling around
until I figured that one out.  I should recommend ALSA as a fishing lure
- it seems to attract red herrings. :)