[kwlug-disc] The least hassle upgrade in years ...

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Mon May 17 12:58:54 EDT 2010

For what it's worth, I did a fresh install of Lucid and it wasn't all
ponies and rainbows.

After the installer had done it's thing, I tried to boot the new Lucid
install, only to end up at a BusyBox prompt.  There was a message about
the kernel having given up waiting for the root device.  The error
message suggested specifying the "rootdelay=n" kernel option.  This
ended up fixing the problem, I think my motherboard might be to blame
for this one.

I also had trouble with my sound card.  I used the sound setting tool to
tell the system I have 5.1 speakers, but for some reason the centre
channel was muted by default.  I wasn't able to find a way to fix this
in Gnome, and had to mess around with alsamixer and aplay.

I'm quite happy with the result.  Unfortunately I think these would have
ended up being show-stoppers for many new users.  I'm lucky (?) to have
struggled through similar problems before, so the problems didn't
actually cause me much grief.