[kwlug-disc] First observations on Lucid Lynx

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon May 3 15:10:08 EDT 2010

Chris Irwin wrote, On 05/03/2010 11:41 AM:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:10, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>> I learned long ago, since I sit down at far too many different computers
>>> to help far too many people, go with how it comes, get on with it. Don't
>>> customize it, or come to depend upon anything different being there.
>> My tangent: I miss the days when you could carry around all of your
>> configuration easily in dotfiles that lived in your home directory.
>> When you upgraded your computer or created another account, all your
>> customizations could travel with you: copy .bashrc, .screenrc and
>> .vimrc and you were good to go.
>
> If you only care about a consistent bash, screen, and vim session, you
> still only need those. It's just there is a lot more configuration now
> (Do I want text on my toolbars? Do I want left/right buttons? Do I
> want system stats in my panel? What colour do I want the second stats
> read-out to be? etc.), so we're going through growing pains of how to
> manage it. gconf, dconf, xdg-dirs, etc. Just a few more dot-files and
> -directories to track.
>
> I've got an easily replicated experience using unison. There are only
> a few files that I exclude that turn out to be somewhat machine
> specific and/or transient.

Not to take away from a unison presentation, but, typically, these are
user problems with their desktops. So, for example, getting used to
particular screens, desktops, backgrounds, facilities, menu bar
positions, is pointless. And, ultimately, you have to show the user
what went wrong, graphically. (Or they don't learn / keep doing 'it'.)