[kwlug-disc] OT - degauss/wipe a dead hard drive/LTO tapes

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Mon May 3 13:41:35 EDT 2010

Call me cavalier, but...

If the drive is from 2006, it will cost more wipe it (or think about
wiping it!) for RMA than it would cost to go out and buy a new one with
twice the capacity.

If the data on it is that sensitive, buy yourself a new drive and good
drill with bit.  After you set up the new drive you can take the old one
apart and drill as many holes in the platters as it takes to be
comfortable.  Access to a drill-press?  Even better.  Plus, you'll have
the tools to safely dispose of any drive in the future!