[kwlug-disc] peoples' thoughts on apple, adobe and flash?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sat May 1 23:57:16 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 18:14 -0400, unsolicited wrote:

> Darcy Casselman wrote, On 05/01/2010 3:06 PM:
> > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> To play the devil's advocate a bit (and to reiterate some things that some of my
> >> Apple-inclined friends have been arguing), the reason that Apple wants to lock
> >> down the "platform" (hardware + software) that they sell you is because they
> >> don't want their image tarnished by flora and fauna that aren't
> >> originally from the
> >> walled garden. To abuse the car analogy some more: Apple doesn't want you to
> >> paint your ("their") iCar pink because a pink iCar would be ugly and turn off
> >> potential iCar buyers.
> >
> > I might concede this point, but there's plenty of shovelware crap in
> > the app store.
>
> And there isn't in any Linux repository?

Linux Repos are not walled gardens.

> (Let alone most of the Palm stuff out there.)

I'm not sure if you're talking about PalmOS or WebOS. Palm took a much
better approach with WebOS, wherein they have a walled garden with
screened apps -- But you don't have to use it. The first app I installed
was a third-party repository (think apt/synaptic for your phone) and I
have complete control of the device. The out of box and "Normal person"
experience is pristine and sanitized. The advanced users are
unrestricted.

PalmOS didn't didn't have anything similar to an app store or
repositories, at least when I used it. It was much more like using a
windows machine (finding installers and dependencies manually across the
internet).

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca