[kwlug-disc] Makefiles [was: command prompt history]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Mar 19 23:50:51 EDT 2010

Kyle Spaans wrote, On 03/17/2010 11:46 PM:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:
>> --Bob (who believes less is more, and that being brief will encourage a
>> comprehensive lecture series both on how makefiles in general work, and why
>> they would be useful here)
>
> To be equally brief, see: "graph theory".
>
> --Kyle (wiping his hands emphatically)
>

> OK, as far as I know, you specify the dependencies of each file you are using.
> Make then builds a graph from those dependencies and, using the
> modification times of the files, decides which ones will need to be recompiled
> and acts accordingly.
>
> Still sound worthy of a presentation? :P

Actually, it probably is a good topic choice. Kept at about the same
level as John's shell (bash?) commands presentation, or 'Top 10
favourite command lines' type presentation.

No, I'm not volunteering.

There could be a second later presentation, 'cause things like
'automake' just take things to a whole 'nother level.

No, I'm not volunteering for that either.

Let alone nested makes. <sigh>