[kwlug-disc] Using SSH to authenticate

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 13 23:37:14 EST 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 07:11:20PM -0800, Raul Suarez wrote:

> Doing the reverse connection may be a good option to bypass any
> white listing. You need SSH in Home.

Gah. This is what I was looking for. I am not thrilled about exposing
HomeHost to the Internet (ordinarily it would be behind a firewall)
but it looked temptingly close to what I wanted.

Unfortunately I hit another roadblock in trying this out, which I
think puts an end to this little adventure for now.  But it was an
educational ride. Thanks to everybody for teaching me about SSH
tunnelling.

> 3. Connect from target to Home opening a reverse ssh tunnel
> ssh -L50022:localhost:22 pauln at HomeHost

I had troubles seeing how this was different from Richard's solution,
but now it makes sense. You make the tunnel right from
TargetHost to HomeHost, which is pretty much what I wanted. (Now I
feel kind of silly for not taking the logical step after Richard
proposed his solution).

I really wish I had not hit that roadblock, because now I am really
curious to see whether this would work.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org