[kwlug-disc] Preseed sensible default: automatic upgrades

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 29 00:07:57 EDT 2010

Let's pretend that I could admit to wasting time with preseeding
instead of configuring domain controllers and setting up proprietary
phone systems like I am supposed to be. In such an ideal world, I
might be setting up preseeding to install systems for people who have
little to no Linux or Ubuntu experience. One of the preseeding options
is as follows:

# Policy for applying updates. May be "none" (no automatic updates),
# "unattended-upgrades" (install security updates automatically), or
# "landscape" (manage system with Landscape).
#d-i pkgsel/update-policy select none

What would be the most sensible default for this answer? I am torn
between "none" (which means people don't get breakage happening under
their feet) and "unattended-upgrades" (because despite the blinkyicons
people tend not to do their upgrades, and security upgrades don't
break things often).

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org