[kwlug-disc] netbooks without windows

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 23 17:04:32 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 02:39:37PM -0400, Johnny F wrote:

> Wondering if anyone could make a recommendation on the best place to get
> a notebook without windows in Canada. I need the netbook primarily for
> my electronics bench (writing code, flashing microcontrollers), and
> secondarily as a lightweight laptop for browsing the internet when I
> leave home and don't want to carry a 10 pound laptop around (which is
> also huge and power hungry).

I don't know if this is a recommendation (these seem to be older
netboooks with 3-cell batteries, and under your price range) but
Canada Computers lists a few:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=570_28_378&item_id=020521&sid=b2b8tabpfjb9en4hjaqs32l1g5

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=570_28_378&item_id=019015&sid=b2b8tabpfjb9en4hjaqs32l1g5

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=570_630_674&item_id=020647&sid=b2b8tabpfjb9en4hjaqs32l1g5

Naturally, stock is bad. I guess Linux really did lose the netbook
battle.

Tiger Direct also has exactly one listing in its "Linux Based
Netbooks" section, too. Sigh.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4235&name=Linux-Based&

As for Windows netbooks: licences are non-transferrable, as far as I
know. If I was able to buy a netbook I would be looking for a
Windows-free one as well; I think it is a sensible message to send.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org