[kwlug-disc] Postfix on a laptop

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Jun 11 22:21:51 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 17:25 -0400, Chris Irwin wrote:
> I've got some questions about local mailservers and laptops. I've
> typically run a local mailserver (postfix in my case) on each of my
> systems, and set them up to forward all mail to my centralized server
> (which in turn currently relays through my google apps account..).
>
> This has served well. It gave me CLI 'sendmail' functionality for cron,
> etc on each host, and it ended up routing through to my regular email
> address. Authentication was not a big deal since my machines were all on
> a common (private) network.
>
> The problem now is my laptop. I need to either (1) open up a port to my
> home server and do some sort of authenticated relaying, or (2) replicate
> my gmail forwarding to my laptop. Currently my laptop sends directly,
> but that gives me a greater chance of being flagged spam, especially
> since I am violating my SPF rules.
>
> Has anybody solved this problem, or have a better way of handling a mail
> server on a mobile remote?

This sounds like using a sledgehammer to hang a picture frame.  I like.
But running postfix only for outgoing mail is a little bit of overkill.

You might be better off having your machines send their own mail to
Google with a command line client like msmtp:
http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/doc/msmtp.html