[kwlug-disc] Postfix on a laptop

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Jun 11 17:25:52 EDT 2010

I've got some questions about local mailservers and laptops. I've
typically run a local mailserver (postfix in my case) on each of my
systems, and set them up to forward all mail to my centralized server
(which in turn currently relays through my google apps account..).

This has served well. It gave me CLI 'sendmail' functionality for cron,
etc on each host, and it ended up routing through to my regular email
address. Authentication was not a big deal since my machines were all on
a common (private) network.

The problem now is my laptop. I need to either (1) open up a port to my
home server and do some sort of authenticated relaying, or (2) replicate
my gmail forwarding to my laptop. Currently my laptop sends directly,
but that gives me a greater chance of being flagged spam, especially
since I am violating my SPF rules.

Has anybody solved this problem, or have a better way of handling a mail
server on a mobile remote?

--
Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>