[kwlug-disc] Access rights to file/folder

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Thu Jul 29 10:19:47 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> John Van Ostrand wrote, On 07/28/2010 5:16 PM:
>
> Remind me please:
>
> - 'posix acl's are (not?) the standard permissions? i.e. chmod, etc.
> - sticky bit?
> - umask?
> - seems to me the gui programs, e.g. file properties in konqueror,
> understand / work with 'standard permissions.' Do they also tend to be
> acl aware?

I'm not sure of the proper terms, but I would use "traditional unix permissions" or posix permissions to describe the "-rw-rw-rw user group" permissions that you see when you run "ls -l" and posix ACLs for the access control lists that you see when you run "getfacl *"

Traditional permissions allow for only three classifications of people: user, group and others whereas ACLs allow a more complex list.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware