[kwlug-disc] Linus viruses

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Jul 27 19:30:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 07:10:35PM -0400, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> 1) have you ever had your linux desktop hacked?  Or any type of security
> breach?
> 2) if not, do you even know anyone that's ever had their linux desktop
> hacked?

I'd rather not play chicken with my data.  Past performance is not an
indicator of future security.  If it was, then none of us would have
to do regular security updates, since, hey, I haven't had any trouble yet...

When I read about security holes in web apps or web browsers, it is
rare that Javascript is not involved somehow.  It does happen,
but not as often.

And it may not be a security hole that worries me, but a privacy leak
instead.  Here's a fun rare one that doesn't even need Javascript:

	http://static.whattheinternetknowsaboutyou.com/results.html

Not everyone is as paranoid as I am though. :-)  And that's fine.  Computing
is a whole lot more fun when you don't have to care about the consequences.
I get that experience on throw-away installs.

- Chris