[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Sun Jul 25 22:11:22 EDT 2010

Chris has backed down. He's released some of it as GPL, some of it not,
apparently stuff like JS and CSS.

So now all that needs to be done is someone needs to rebuild from
scratch the parts that he's got closed, rebundle, and now the whole
thing is open source. Which is pretty much exactly the point of the GPL
I'm thinking (as much as doing so would be screwing Chris out of his
perhaps ill gotten gains).

I'm pretty sure the developer version of the theme cost me about $150
bucks or so. Next person to buy it should just pay someone $150 to
develop the new JS/CSS and away we go. And as I noted, I'd actually be
using drupal for my CMS if there was a Thesis clone. Now perhaps there's
a possibility of that happening.

FWIW, while I love the theme, I have not had much luck with the
developer. Not long after it was released I actually used the theme on a
site that was perhaps a grey area. I realized after the fact that I may
be breaking the license agreement - it just wasn't clear to me once I'd
given some thought to it. So I asked specific questions to the thesis
folks about the conditions of their license agreement. Their response?
No response. Which left me with a fully developed website that I didn't
want to take down, and didn't even know if I had to take it down. I
wasn't too impressed with that.