[kwlug-disc] OT: Roger's phone services

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Mon Jul 19 13:13:01 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> On Monday, July 19, 2010 12:33:55 pm John Van Ostrand wrote:
> > The ATA will get the CID from the SIP header. Why would it wait for
> > rings?
>
> I was talking more of the setup where the Nortel system is being
> augmented
> with VOIP; thus you'd have FXO ATA ports going to the telco and FXS
> ATA ports
> going to the Nortel.

Yup, we're in sync. Incoming call hits the ATA which gets the CID from the SIP header. It then rings the Nortel, which does it's normal thing and waits for two rings. That part is normal and shouldn't cause any additional delay. If the call then goes to a Nortel handset, it's all normal. It's only when it goes to a Nortel ATA, then SIP ATA that a additional two rings occur. This would be after a voice menu, so although the caller is inconvenienced there isn't a very long ring happening. Only if the caller was directed to an ATA phone directly, without a voice menu would the caller hear 4 rings too many.

> > > - "disconnect" between SIP extensions (which appear as external
> > > calls
> > > to the
> > > Nortel system) and Nortel extensions
> > > - inability to transfer calls from SIP to nortel or vice-versa
>
> > If asterisk were in front of the whole system and passing calls to
> > the
> > nortel PBX just to use the extensions, then why wouldn't * be passed
> > through to Asterisk? Does a nortel system eat *s?
>
> Consider this scenario:
> - Call comes in, a SIP phone answers it.
> - Call must be transfered to Nortel extension 234
>
> How does the SIP phone call extension 234 on the Nortel? The Nortel
> system
> takes any call coming from Asterisk as an external (trunk) call, so
> you either
> set up the Nortel and train the SIP phone users that they call in, get
> the IVR
> and dial the extension or you set up a macro in Asterisk to do
> something
> similar. It can be made to work, but it's messy.

Using DID features, the call goes directly to the extension. (yeah, yeah, 4 ring delay.)

> > I suppose at that point one could just put in analog phones.
>
> Same issue: the Nortel system doesn't see them as "real" extensions.

No I meant, if the nortel hand set users have to use * commands, they might as well just be using regular analog phones connected to the Asterisk box.

> > > - callerID for SIP extensions not showing up as extensions ot
> > > Nortel
>
> > Didn't I see a ATA of sorts for Nortel phones. You plug in many
> > nortel
> > phones and they are proxied to SIP phones?
>
> Yes, Citel makes them if I am not mistaken. Not cheap for sure.

Yeah, that's the one.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO