[kwlug-disc] OT: Roger's phone services

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Sun Jul 18 07:41:16 EDT 2010

I'm not talking about voice quality alone, but that is a big one.

You say "unless" and "if" and that's exactly the quality issue.

Use VoIP on a shared internet and have someone download an iso, how's the
audio quality for the remote party? And that's just your last mile link. If
you are in a bad Roger's neighbourhood that can happen when your neighbours
get home from school.

Then a little fluctuation in any one of the many hops between you and your
ITSP and you've got some echo to deal with. Sure it's rare but more common
than POTS.

Then high packet loss networks offer another audio issue. This really only
applies to bad or overloaded shared connections like wireless or cable but
it happens.

I have seen all of these in my customer base.

Then consider time to repair. If a business line goes down the ttr for it is
4 hours from bell. DSL is 2 days. Some business can weather a 4 hour, but 2
days would be far worse.

Then look at all the things that have to work for a VoIP line to function
compared to a POTS line and consider what the difference in MTTR is. Sure
all the POTS equipment is there except its located at a CO, but they do
achieve better reliability that us computer guys.
Now for the cost. Consider a small office with 4 lines. They keep 1 POTS
line for backup and perhaps one for fax. To ensure audio quality you buy a
DSL from your ITSP for $70 (or tell me where to buy $50 links) and you're
back up to the same $140 or so in "line" costs. But you'll save a little on
long distance, most of which you could do by switching long distance
carriers.

Now calculate the payback on replacing the perfectly good old PBX. They can
only really justify it for the new features, or if their old PBX needed
replacing anyway.

As for a consumer buying VoIP service, they are not buying the $2.50 a la
carte unlimitel service, they are buying the $25/month package that includes
unlimited local calls,  but higher long distance, and support for customer
premise hardware. In fact I checked a while ago and can't find that package
at unlimitel any more.

Can audio quality *be* better than POTS sure, but it generally won't stay
that way 100% of the time for 100% of the people. If it does then you have a
rocking internet connection and an isp that are under utilized.

To prove one point try to run a POTS fax or modem over VoIP. It only works
with the most consistent connections. It works most of the time with POTS
and most of the time it doesn't with VoIP.