[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu's default search engine to change in dealwithYahoo

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Jan 27 12:46:26 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:01, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right now, Google has a deal with Firefox that involves giving Mozilla
> a tiny amount of money every time someone uses the FF seach box to
> search Google.
>
> I'm guessing the Ubuntu-Yahoo! deal is similar.  Yahoo! gives Ubuntu
> money for searches.

I think this is fine. Nobody complained with Firefox defaulting to Google
for money, why is this different?. And it only changes the default, so if
you've already said you want all searches through hotbot, dogpile, or
whatever else the kids are using now days, you won't suddenly be changed to
yahoo.

> This isn't a big deal, except I'm betting Mozilla might be a little
> peeved about Canonical subverting their revenue model, but I expect a
> good chunk of users will switch the search box back anyway.

Not too long ago one of the Mozilla leaders actually recommended using Bing
instead of Google due to privacy policy issues.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2009/12/11/mozilla-man-recommends-bing/1

One funny note pointed out on the Ubuntu-devel list is that if you go to
Yahoo!Mail using Firefox on Ubuntu, it indicates you are using an
unsupported operating system. every time you log in. :)

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>