[kwlug-disc] USB hard drive mount

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Tue Jan 19 09:11:51 EST 2010

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about mounting a USB hard
drive, was having sporadic difficulties.  Figured I'd post the solution
on the off chance anyone ran into this.  As far as I can tell, if I turn
the external hard drive on and plug it in, linux  (Mandriva 2010) won't
even see the hardware no matter what I do.

If I plug it in first, and then turn it on, then I can mount it as root
at the command prompt and it works.

So it's the order.  Turn on, plug in, no go.  Plug in, turn on, works.

g.