[kwlug-disc] ubiquiti rs pro

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Jan 17 10:28:38 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>> So kit (board, enclosure, power supply, power cord) $147.95 + pci
>> board $192.00 -> $339.95. Coming out of Texas, office in Hawaii, so
>> US$. No returns except DOA. $41.28 postage USPS Priority Mail®
>> International Medium Flat Rate Box, 6 - 10 days, I'm guessing.
>> US$381.23 x 1.0313 exchange -> #393.16, plus possibly PST, GST, and
>> credit card currency commission ... even I'm not too enthusiastic at
>> that price point.
>>
>> Richard's sourcing looks more and more attractive.
>
>  quite so, as that final cost really defeats the whole purpose of my
> original proposal which was to find a nice router available off the
> shelf at a decent price we could collaborate on as a LUG project.
>
>  shall we reset and try again?  any other routers look like a good
> choice?  the point is that it doesn't have to be state-of-the-art,
> bleeding edge, just good enough that most people would find it
> acceptable and it would give them a chance to get into openWRT with a
> minimum of muss, fuss and risk.
>
>  or is that idea just not going to work?

Interesting discussion.  I notice a Canadian distributor with prices
on the web site.  A quick trip round the site looks like $240 for
rs-pro+1 radio and a box.  Not sure about power supply.  I'm presuming
CDN$

And they aren't too far from us.  So I've contacted them.  Let's see
if they want to chat.

http://www.ubnt.ca/home?page=shop.browse&category_id=2