[kwlug-disc] Swapping drives on server

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jan 16 00:01:05 EST 2010

If you have raid, you have space for a temporary spare non-raid disk.
As John says, you'll always have your original disks.

If you're willing to take the down time ... if you pop a temporary
non-raid drive in of sufficient size, mirror the raid to it. Perhaps
with Mondo (if that's even necessary, if non / on RAID / separate boot
drive?). Then put your new disks in, initialize the raid. Copy from
temporary drive back to new raid, remove temporary drive.

The problem with sticking the 135 GB disk in for one of the 73's is
your 135 will instantly become a 73. All disks must be of the same
size - introduce a new, larger one, and it will make the new one the
same size as the old. Wasted space. Unless your RAID is JBOD, which I
suspect not.

If you have the case space, cable connectors, and a powerful enough
power supply, doing as John says, adding the 3 as a separate RAID,
then mirroring, then removing, will save you some steps over the
temporary drive above.