[kwlug-disc] given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jan 9 20:57:32 EST 2010

> Having worked on software development for long enough I can tell you that
> MOST of the bugs should be found during development.

Actually, open source development turns this on its head by its "release
early,
release often" paradigm. I have seen it in action first hand, getting
patches
many times a week.

If the original author releases a "good enough" version, others will find
the bugs
and fix them, and add features they need, and upgrade to the latest API.

I just wanted to refute that most bugs are found by users. That's a
> terrifying thought.

It depends on who is the user. In the web world and LAMP, e.g. Drupal in
PHP, the
barrier is not as high as kernel or driver source in C. So people tend to
submit
patches even if they are not developers.

Others who have no coding skills, or have no time, can just report that
something
does not work. This is true for Firefox, Drupal or the any other piece of
FLOSS.

Not as scary as it sounds ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin