[kwlug-disc] VoIP questions

Tue Jan 5 19:11:12 EST 2010

On January 5, 2010 07:00:07 pm unsolicited wrote:
> Isn't it actually mine? You just pay them to be the point of presence
> for where a call made via pots, lands?

It's as much your number as it was with Bell.

> i.e. I can transfer my bell phone number to unlimitel. Is it not
> 'mine'? I guess renting implies that ... ok it gets weird. But for
> some amount of time, suppose I change itsp's, is it not mine / does it
> not exist before it becomes unclaimed and open for someone else to use?

The number stays with the provider until a port is done or the provider
"releases" the number.

If you switch ITSPs I strongly suggest you establish the connection with the
new one and make sure things are working before starting the porting process.
When the switch actually happens you'll notice (or not) that the call will
come in over the new provider instead of the old one, and you'll know the port
is complete.

Think of it kind of like a relay race.  Bell or your current ITSP has your
number (the baton) and when you port, they hand it to the next one. I've never
seen a port "lose" the number, but I have in many cases seen the old ITSP make
it difficult to have the number passed over.

Now that I think of it, it's exactly the same kind of scenario as domain
names.

-A.