[kwlug-disc] VOIP and Direct Detect (offtopic)

Terrence Enger tenger at iseries-guru.com
Fri Feb 19 17:55:17 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 17:39 -0500, Lori Paniak wrote:

> You should make sure that your (new) residential location is properly
> registered.  Start by asking your provider. To be completely sure,
> casually dial 911 on Sunday morning and announce that you are testing
> your VOIP 911 system.  You will have to speak to law enforcement and
> convince them that it is only a test so turn down the TV/kids during the
> call.

It would be polite to coordinate the test with your police department.
The last time I cared, they called the ordinary-priority number the
administrative number, and it may not be easy to find.  ( The word
"administrative" sounds like the number you call to ask where to submit
your bid for repairing the roof on the stationhouse, but maybe that's
just me. )

Cheers,
Terry.