[kwlug-disc] anyone version controlling their /etc directory?

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Thu Feb 18 09:59:15 EST 2010

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 02/18/2010 09:18:58 AM:

>   just about to install a fresh fedora 12 system and i figured it
> might be fun to version control all of /etc.  quick google showed me
> this:
>
>   http://joey.kitenet.net/code/etckeeper/
>
> for which there is a fedora package ready to go, so i might see how
> well it works.  anyone doing something like this?  thoughts?

We are using RCS on select configuration files. It didn't really make much
sense to track files that are not configured by hand. Things like
/etc/shadow are changed by passwd, sendmail.cf and others are generated.

Our reason for doing so is that we have several people administer systems
and we need to track the reason changes where made.

What is your reason? Just to see what changes between installs or over
time?

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO