[kwlug-disc] wiping out the initial configuration of mysql?

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Tue Feb 16 08:13:10 EST 2010

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 02/16/2010 05:26:58 AM:

>   for test purposes, i want to be able to totally remove the result of
> an initial invocation of mysqld -- in the case of centos 5,4 that
> would be running:
>
>   # service mysqld start
>
> for the first time.  as best i can tell, before that initial run, the
> directory /var/lib/mysql was empty, after which it was populated.  so
> is there anything beyond simply stopping mysqld, then deleting the
> contents of that directory to start things over again as if that never
> happened?
>
>   oh, and i guess i can delete ~/.mysql_history as well.  is that it?
> or was something else created and tucked away somewhere?

If you made any changes to /etc/my.cnf you will want to change those back.

You might want to empty /var/log/mysqld.log and delete
/var/log/mysqld.log.*

D       elete /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid (as long as mysqld is not
running).

If you are concerned about .mysql_history, check for it in other home
directories too.

Run "rpm -V mysql-server" to see if other changes were made.

Consider disabling mysqld from starting.

Aside from my.cnf, the configuration is in the databases, which is built
at boot time.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO