[kwlug-disc] Linux Marketshare

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 15:56:01 EST 2010

--- On Tue, 2/2/10, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> >  but where's the tipping point?  as in, at what
> percentage will linux
> > suddenly be "validated" on the desktop?
>
> It doesn't matter to Linux.

I agree at some level, disagree at a different level:

Agree:
I use Linux because I can, I am safer, more comfortable and have more freedom with my desktop, what do I care what other people do. I am free to use it, other people are free to do whatever they want.

Disagree:
On the big scheme of things that Free software is validated and attracts more users will also mean that vendors and users will understand the benefits of Freedom. Users will demand open standards and support choices and the vendors will have to adapt.

Of course if FLOSS gains market share by loosing its soul: Giving up to proprietary solutions or becoming more like proprietary, then there is no benefit gained from the market share other that some people will make money.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/