[kwlug-disc] running samba with no windows involved?

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:29:50 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>  yes, it sounds goofy but, as an intellectual exercise, is there any
> reason i couldn't use samba to share files (and printers) between two
> linux systems?  naturally, anyone sane would never do that since there
> are better ways (NFS, etc.).  but just to be perverse, i don't see why
> it couldn't be done, correct?

I use Samba a bit at home, even though I don't boot up the Windows
partition anymore.  I have a knee-jerk reaction against NFS due to my
days as a UW CS undergrad, when one flaky NFS mount would bring
everything down.  That and I can get an smb.conf file working easily,
where I never figured out NFS configuration.

But yeah, it's perfectly feasible.  I don't even mount it, oftentimes.
 I just use GVFS to access smb:// urls in nautilus.

Although, to be honest, I'm using SFTP more these days.

Darcy.