[kwlug-disc] 64bit installs

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Thu Dec 23 10:58:58 EST 2010

On 10-12-23 09:21 AM, Cedric Puddy wrote:

> 64 bit systems *are not* any faster than 32 bit systems, and (in an apples to apples, GHz to GHz comparison) generally run a little slower,

Not at all true in my (unscientific, anecdotal) experience, nor is that
the case in any of the recent 32-bit vs 64-bit benchmarks I've seen
published.... with a few corner case exceptions, 64-bit is much faster
than 32-bit, by  over 15%.  Although, it must be said, this only applies
to cpu bound processes, which is rare on most desktops.