[kwlug-disc] Jan 3: statutory holiday?

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 16:36:44 EST 2010

On 12/21/2010 4:22 PM, unsolicited wrote:
> What is not clear to you is is the 3rd the official holiday or not?
> (i.e. Let's not FUD the kwlug policy - it's not how to interpret the
> policy that is in question, it's the status of the 3rd.)

 From what I can gather*, Saturday is the official holiday.

> When a Public Holiday Falls on an Employee's Non-Working Day or During an Employee's Vacation
>
> When a public holiday falls on a day that is not ordinarily a working day for an employee, or during the employee's vacation, the employee is entitled to either:
>
>     * a substitute holiday off with public holiday pay;
>       or
>     * public holiday pay for the public holiday, if the employee agrees to this in writing (in this case, the employee will not be given a substitute day off).

I didn't see anything that defined the parameters for the when the
"substitute holiday off" should occur.

This suggests to me is that KWLUG should clarify, for future reference,
what happens when the holiday falls on a weekend. Is it safe to assume
we are mostly 9-5, Mon-Fri working stiffs, and that most of the time the
Monday is the "substitute holiday off"?

BTW, how long do I have to stick around before I start getting my KWLUG
vacation pay?

* http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/guide/publicholidays.php