[kwlug-disc] DuckDuckGo.com -- an alternate search engine

Fernando Duran liberosec at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 3 15:46:17 EDT 2010

Hi,

It's JavaScript so the source code for the trick is available in the page. As
it's been said it's based on the browser's capability to know the sites you've
visited before (same as when it changes the colour of a visited link). I just
took somebody's (open source) code and added some of the most common Canadian
web sites.

There's no  privacy issue I can think of unless someone could correlate for
example the visitor's IP address with an identity. In any case the information
of what's our bank is so easy to get by traditional means that we can consider
it public.

There's also no direct security issue with the JS trick although it could be
used in some sort of "spear-phishing" to convince a potential victim in a
malicious web page (where it's detected he uses bank X) to click on a false page
resembling X to get his login information.
Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com