[kwlug-disc] DuckDuckGo.com -- an alternate search engine

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 3 00:03:55 EDT 2010

Random quote from a random comment from a random person:

"... I really hate the present AJAXification of the entire web - it's no
longer possible
to fully surf websites on a 400MHz machine like the XO-1 without having to
turn
off Javascript and Flash

Javascript programmers are doing the very same thing that gave Flash a bad
name years ago: Bloat."

http://mobile.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1739838&cid=33108256

Add to that the reasons I listed earlier in the thread:

   - It can slow down things significantly, because code is being executed
   browser side. Some code parses the entire DOM of the HTML document and do
   things with it. Some code polls remote servers constantly for information,
   ...etc.
   - It can be a vector for security attacks (Cross Site Scripting).
   - It can be a hindrance to accessibility.
   - It can be an obstacle to content getting properly indexed in search
   engines.

And the Firefox NoScript extension is staying enabled on my laptop ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.